Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Back to School Cookie Recipe

It's already Wednesday, half way  through the first week of  Back To School. Where did the time go? I mean seriously, I have a Jr Higher.

He Use To Look Like This


And Now He Looks Like This


We can't for get Punk #2. His first day at a new school!! I am not worried. He makes friends VERY easily. Check this kids shoes out.... he is a definite "I". Don't know what I am talking about? Stick around, I am sure at one point I will tell you my secret weapon... personality profiling.... yeah I am stealth like that :)


Incredible how time flies.

Well for the first time in about 5 years I had some down time on the first day of school. So, I thought I would be a good mom and make THE best Back To School Cookies known on the face of the planet.  Don't worry I will share this coveted recipe with you, only if you promise to share, because this recipe makes 70 cookies!!

I mixed a few recipes together and came out with these.


I started HERE and HERE. Then I mixed it up. Omitted a few things and added something that you NEVER would have guessed. It gave it a different flavor. 



The BEST Back To School Cookie:
Time: 1 1/2 hours Yeild: 70 cookies!! give or take (depends on if you are like me and you eat the cookie dough)


1 C butter softened
1 C shortening
1 1/2 C brown sugar
1 1/2 C white sugar
4 eggs (go ask your neighbor. because if you are like me, everyone has chickens in the neighborhood!! except of course for me and My Favorite Neighbor. but they do have a chicken coop they periodically sleep in)
2 t vanilla
1 t water
3 C flour
2 t baking soda
2 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/2 nutmeg
1/2 cinnamon
3 C oatmeal (not steel cut!! this will make your cookie crunchy)
2-3 packets of Maple Brown Sugar INSTANT oatmeal!!! ( i know right? THIS is the secret ingredient)
4 C milk chocolate chips

1. Cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar and white sugar. Make sure it is creamed so well that it is so fluffy your gonna die. (Just because I have a Jr Higher doesn't mean I can't enjoy a kids movie every once in a while.)
2. Add your eggs one at a time until incorporated
3. Add your vanilla and water. Mix just until it is combined. (Don't over mix)
4. In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients together. Use a mixing spoon.
5. Add the dry to the creamed mixture. Stir until it is all mixed up. Add your chocolate chips. Stir.
6. Roll into 1 1/2 inch ball, or in my case I used my cookie scoop. Place on a sprayed or greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Never over bake an oatmeal cookie,it will be crunchy!! When your cookies are lightly browned take them out and let them finish cooking on the pan for 3-5 minutes.

(if you want you could make the delicious brown butter drizzle in Miss Paula Deen's recipe for an extra scrumptious treat. I omitted it this time)

Well, here's to a new school year. Now go share some cookies!! We did!



(BTW the playlist... yeah some of my favorite songs when I was in Jr. High.)

"Confidence is contagious; so is lack of confidence" -Vince Lombardi

2 comments :

  1. Julian has found a new love of TLC. He's really gettin' down to the music as I'm writing this comment. These cookies were fantastic and we will now be expecting them on every future "first day of school" from now on. Since our boys start school on a different day than yours do, I believe that means we should receive them 2X a year.

    How adorable is that picture of Hayden!? I'm so glad you shared that since he was 8 when you guys moved in, we have never seen the boys as babies! So precious.

    We do sleep in a chicken coop once in awhile. You're correct on that! I hear tell that you've spent the night in a rabbit hutch with an armadillo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just pictured his little body bouncing, he really has some amazing rhythm you know. So cute!!

    I will have to share some more baby pictures, Taylor was a chunk, lovingly known as Gordo in these parts.

    The rabbit hutch and the loved armadillo such good memories!!

    ReplyDelete

 
UA-45768586-1